Our commitment to privacy
Your privacy is a top priority for us. When dealing with your personal information we as a church are required to observe our obligations under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and comply with the Australian Privacy Principles, as well other relevant State legislation. This policy sets out how we will collect, use, store, disclose and de-identify your personal information.
The types of information we collect
The types of personal information we collect include:
- contact details (name, address, telephone numbers, email, etc);
- complaint details;
- prayer requests;
- financial giving, and
- credit card details.
The types of sensitive information we collect include records of communication between us, which may include from time to time, information you provide us or we collect from others. This includes, but is not limited to, the following types of information:
- health information;
- attendance information;
- financial information
- personal credit card data; and
- any idiosyncratic or personal information we obtain from you or others about you.
Why we collect private information about you
North Ryde Christian Church is a not-for-profit organisation that is dedicated to serving the North Ryde community and communicating the message of the Gospel in Sydney. This means we embark on a number of different ways to develop and implement Christian services into the community which are in need of a healthy, loving local church. This would include implementing new church services, events, programs, camps and training, innovative kids and youth programs and being involved in our local initiatives to help people with acute needs in society.
We collect information about people so as to allow us to communicate with them, introduce them to our services, promote the Gospel to them, pray and provide other Christian services to them and inform them of the work we do. We do not use the information in any way other than in the furtherance of our objects and purposes. We might also use your information for the following purposes:
- for the immediate reason for which you have provided it to us (for example, to enable us to process your request, payment, registration, etc);
- to maintain contact with you about our work, to report to you about our work, or to encourage you to learn about what we do; and
- any other purpose directly related to our work and for which you have provided consent (where it is reasonably required by law).
We don’t rent, sell or exchange your information.
Sometimes we may be legally required to disclose your information, for example, to government departments.
How we collect your information
We collect your information in the following ways:
- face to face contact;
- electronically including through emails and messages;
- via social media messages or conversation;
- during phone calls;
- voice or image recordings;
- whilst delivering and administering services at our facilities; and from forms and other correspondence (both in writing and electronically).
How we use your information
We only use your personal and sensitive information for the reason we collect it as set out above and for the purpose(s) for which it was collected, or as otherwise permitted by law. We will not disclose the above information that we collect to affiliates or third parties without your consent.
Accessing and correcting your personal information
You can access your information by asking us. Occasionally, we may need to refuse your request to access information, for example, where granting you access would infringe someone else’s privacy.
Securing your information
We take reasonable steps to ensure the security of personal and sensitive information we hold and to protect it against loss, misuse or unauthorised access, destruction, use, modification or disclosure.
Our IT systems are password protected and comply with applicable security standards. Only authorised personnel are permitted to access these details.
Links to other websites
Updated September 2017